Taxes & Assessments
What is Property Assessment?
Property assessment is the process of establishing a property dollar value for property tax purposes. Property tax is an “ad valorem” tax, based on the principle that the amount of tax paid should depend on the value of the property owned. Although income and sales taxes are the main sources of revenue for the provincial and federal governments, property tax remains the major source of local government revenue. Generated from within the community, property tax helps to finance such services as garbage collection, water and sewer, parks and leisure and fire protection. All properties in Mount Pearl, both residential and commercial, are assessed by the Municipal Assessment Agency and are based on market values. Assessments are completed every three years, with the last one done in 2014.
What is the relationship between Assessed Value and Municipal Taxes?
The Municipal Assessment Agency determines the fair market value of the properties in a municipality. After all real property has been assessed, Council uses this information to set the mil rate. The mil rate is then used to establish individual tax bills. The local Council sets the rate, calculates and sends out the tax bills, and collects the taxes.
When are taxes due and does interest apply?
All taxes are due upon receipt of invoice. Each year, all balances not paid in full by the stated due date are subject to interest charges. Interest is also applied to accounts with a payment schedule, pre-authorized payments or post-dated cheques in place.
Where can I pay my taxes?
- Tax payments can be made at City Hall, Finance Division, between 8:00 am and 4:00 pm, Monday to Friday.
- You can mail your payment to City Hall, 3 Centennial Street, Mount Pearl, NL A1N 1G4.
- Many banking institutions now offer telephone banking or Internet payment of municipal taxes. If your banking institution requires only 11 digits to submit your Internet payment, please omit the first 4 digits (3345) of your roll number.
- Pre-authorized debit directly from your bank account is also acceptable – Direct Payment Service Enrollment Authorization Form
- Direct payments by mortgage holder of the property.
Any senior citizen in receipt of the Guaranteed Income Supplement may be eligible for a 20% discount upon completing the Seniors Discount Form.
For further information on taxation, contact the City at 748-1039 or 748-1078.
For further information on assessments, visit Municipal Assessment Agency.