Garbage & Recycling
Clearly We Can Do Better! Introducing Mount Pearl’s Clear Bag Program.
The City of Mount Pearl will soon require all residents to use clear garbage bags. This mandatory program will allow us to ensure that residents recycle and dispose of household hazardous waste properly. It will have a positive impact on the environment by keeping unnecessary waste out of the landfill. This change will come into effect March 1, 2017. All residents will receive detailed information in the mail prior to the program launch. For more information, please view our Frequently Asked Questions.
Regular household garbage and recycling is collected once a week, from Tuesday to Friday, with each street receiving collection on a specific day. To view your regular garbage and recycling collection cay, simply select your street from the drop down menu.
Choose a street name in the frame below to view the regular garbage and recycling collection schedule for that street. View your 2017 area map and printable collection schedule
Household Garbage & Recycling Collection Statutory Holiday Schedule
For statutory holidays, alternate garbage and recycling collection days are used, as indicated below.
|Regular Collection Day||Revised Collection Day|
|Friday, April 14, 2017||Monday, April 17, 2017|
|Wednesday, August 2, 2017||Thursday, August 3, 2017 if Regatta Day goes ahead on August 2. Otherwise, garbage will be collected as usual.|
|Tuesday, December 26, 2017||Wednesday, December 27, 2017|
Proper Placement of Garbage Cart
Guidelines for Household Garbage
- Only household garbage placed inside a cart provided by the City will be collected
- Carts must be placed to the curb by 8:00 a.m. on your collection day. Carts should not be placed at the curb before 8:00 p.m. on the evening prior to your collection day
- Cart lid must be completely closed
- Cart weight must not exceed 136kg (300lbs)
- Cart should be placed on your property by the curb
- Cart must be free of obstructions – at least 1 metre on all sides and 3 metres above
- Animal feces must be double bagged and distributed among various garbage bags.
- Syringes/sharp objects must be wrapped and secured to prevent injury to sanitation workers.
- Toxic substances, like javex or bleach, are not permitted in garbage bags.
- Household hazardous waste or residential construction material is not permitted in your garbage cart. It can be brought to Robin Hood Bay on Wednesdays and Saturdays from 8:00am – 4:00pm.
- For more specific regulations, please read our Solid Waste Regulations (found under the heading, Public Works)
View our Frequently Asked Questions on the automated garbage carts.
View bulk garbage collection information.
Read our recycling guidelines.
Learn about household hazardous waste.
Contact the Infrastructure & Public Works Department at 748-1016 or firstname.lastname@example.org